Friday, October 7, 2016

Language and Community: Diary Entry

Salman Ahmed is a Pakistani musician, composer, rock guitarist, as well as a physician and Professor at City University of New York. He is popular for writing and performing two patriotic pieces of music, “Dil Dil Pakistan” and “Jazba-e-Junoon” which are widely renowned throughout the country, and even globally.

25th April 1996
A month after releasing our new and perhaps first hit single “Jazba-e-Junoon”, I was looking at the music charts and found out that our audience reacted to this song with triumph, hearing rumors that it may become the new national song of Pakistan and is competing with other pieces as the signature song for the upcoming Cricket World Cup this year. Wow! I haven’t seen this much success since the release of “Dil Dil Pakistan” back in 1987, when I was part of Vital Signs. After joining “Junoon” (my new band), I couldn’t see much to relish, but now I guess we’re able to kick start our opening album with what seems to be a truly admired track from the people’s perspectives. The song itself focuses towards the independence of Pakistan, highlighting the great accomplishments of those who risked their lives in the past to provide us with our own land, easing our way of living. We wanted to address the fact that, even though this was quite some time ago (in fact 48 years ago), we should never lose our passion for our country and always look towards it in a positive manner, emphasizing the consequence of this freedom and liberty with lines like “Mehnat apni ho gi, Pehchan kabhi na bhoolo” (Our Hard work will be ours, and our identity, never forget this), and “Apna ghar, Apni sar zameen, Sab kuch hai, Bas yaheen” (Our home, our own land, everything we need is here.).

 Jazba-e-Junoon (with lyrics)

14th Dec 2002
Dear Diary, as I rose from my bed in the morning, I was enlightened with some pleasing news in the form of an invitation from the BBC, as it called upon me and my former band, Vital Signs, to come and celebrate the top ten songs of the world, which included our hit single “Dil Dil Pakistan”. I couldn’t be much more proud of our contribution to this milestone, as I look back on the first few days of development of “Dil Dil Pakistan”. It was a warm morning in the busy city of Islamabad, where I sat with the rest of the gang, as we pondered onwards, after weeks of planning and searching for inspiration, our main goal being to create some sort of love song to add to our only album Vital Signs 1, when it hit me. I said “Why not forget about love and look towards a more patriotic theme?”, and Junaid replied “that’s a good idea, since we haven’t had any luck with love…”, which is how the song came in. That night I sat with my keyboard, writing what ended up to be the 3rd most known song worldwide, according to BBC. It just took a couple of practice sessions and we were ready for our first music video shooting in the outskirts of Islamabad, at the gorgeous Murree Hills. It was from that day forward that we became one of the most well-known bands in region, yet I never knew we were this good… We mainly wanted to express our love and passion for our home country during the time, as the words “Dil Dil Pakistan” (literally meaning Heart Heart Pakistan) were able to depict this. Another significant reason for the upbringing of the title was the centered rivalry between president Zia and musicians at the time. He looked to remove all instances of music and dance from the country as he thought Pakistan was influencing too much material from the western world, without realizing that this situation was present worldwide! Anyways, I’m really pumped up after hearing about this achievement and can’t wait to regroup with the guys after some time now. I’m sure they’d be astonished at how we progressed from 15th place, back in 1995, 8 years after the song released, to 3rd. What a day its truly been…
Dil Dil Pakistan (with lyrics)

2 comments:

  1. Ali, I enjoyed reading this and felt as though I have been directly inside of this person's head. I would say that these diary entries show a good understanding of both the topic and text it refers to. The task chosen is very appropriate since our unit deals with lyrics and their meaning to impact people. I feel that the conventions, being first person and writing in first person, have been done quite well. Maybe try to replicate even more of how this person would speak while watching interviews of this chosen artist. The word usage I have to say was good, but seemed very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These diary entries were very well done. How you described the writer's thoughts and using examples from the lyrics to back up your topic was very good. To improve on this, i say you would need to research a bit more on the artist and the way he talks, to more authentically replicate the way his speech. (Maybe like some jargon or slang used in his country)

    ReplyDelete